St. Luke's Episcopal Church is one of the oldest buildings in Cleveland. The building was built by the Craigmiles Family in memory of their daughter, Nina, after she was killed in an accident when a train ran into the horse and buggy in which she was riding. The Craigmiles were a very prominent family in Cleveland and therefore no expense was spared in the building of the church. A mausoleum was built of carrera marble at the same time to house Nina's remains and those of her family. The original Episcopal church in Cleveland was named St. Alban's, and was meeting next door in the Presbyterian Church at the time. First Presbyterian Church is the oldest church building in town with St. Luke's being the second oldest. Both buildings still stand a block apart from each other. St. Albans' was established in 1867.
When the present building was built the name was changed to Saint Luke's Memorial Episcopal Church in honor of Nina's death which was on Saint Luke's Day in October. The building was consecrated on St. Luke's Day in 1872, the anniversary of Nina's death. The building is considered one of the few Oxford Movement American Gothic churches in the world and has remained largely as it was when built with the addition of electricity, air conditioning and heating.
The church campus covers an entire city block and is surrounded by a crenelated wall with ornate iron gates. In addition to the church and mausoleum, there are two other buildings within the block. Saint Luke's Parish House is home to Church School classes, choir and youth programs, and staff offices. Saint Luke's Parish Hall, built in 1988, is designed for large meetings, meals and receptions.
Among the architectural features that distinguish Saint Luke's are its beautiful stained glass windows, intricate wood carved arches, and stenciled pipes of the pipe organ. The most prominent feature of the building is its 3 story bell tower which houses a 61 true cast bell electric carillon. The bells ring out the quarter hour of the Westminster Chime and have been part of the fabric of the city for years. On Sunday mornings before services English Change Rings peal out and flood downtown with beautiful calls to worship.
Although St. Luke's has preserved and celebrated its past, it has also embraced the future by continuing to offer liturgical, traditional Anglican worship. St. Luke's adheres to its rich Anglican roots and is a companion parish with a church in England, St. Michael's Church, Stoney Stanton, and with St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Athens, Greece
All are welcome to worship at St. Luke's. We are a diverse congregation committed to helping people on their spiritual journey and who seek a deeper spiritual relationship in their lives.